As the school year comes to a close, students and staff are beginning preparations for next year. For The Hoofprint, this means creating a brand new staff. The 2012-2013 Hoofprint staff consists of 50 student members. To keep 50 students working together in a positive way is not an easy task, so Adviser Ryan McCallum invited Chris Cloud to Skype with the staff about the power of “Doing It Together”.
Cloud is the co-founder of MPLS.tv, a website dedicated to telling the story of Minneapolis, for Minneapolis, by Minneapolis. He spoke at a Ted Talk at the University of Minnesota in April, where McCallum first asked him to speak. Here are some pointers he has for not only Hoofprint staff members, but anyone:
- Do not be afraid to experiment, try new stuff, and fail.
- Discover things.
- Use your intuition.
- Be yourself. Individuals are what make collaboration so amazing, beautiful, and important.
- “Haters gonna hate.”
- Use criticism to motivate you to do better next time.
- “Don’t plagiarize. That’s bad.”
- Remember that every idea is a good idea. There are no bad ideas. Ideas are always valuable.